Monday, October 25, 2010

WE CAN NOT FAIL!

My pastor has been preaching from the book of Nehemiah for a few Sunday’s now. One Sunday he asked us how many people have read Nehemiah since he has been preaching on it. Many people raised their hands but I could not. Actually, it never even dawned on me to read it. Did I just place myself as a “pew sitter?” Listening, but not doing? Not applying what I have been learning through the sermons?

A couple of days after that sermon, God really placed on my heart the burden to read the book of Nehemiah. I was only able to get through chapter 2 before God convicted me and gave me a message. This message is for you, it is for me and it is for the church. “They said to me, ‘Those who survived the exile and are back in the province are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates have been burned with fire.’" Neh 1:3. It seems to me that our churches and our worship to God have been broken for several years now. We need to find the cracks, repair the walls and get back to the business of worshipping and praising God! Truthfully, you and I have no reason to do anything BUT to praise and worship God. He created us, He sustains us, He sees to our daily needs. He is the author of our salvation and He is the living God who “was and is and is to come!” When Nehemiah heard about the broken walls of Jerusalem he fell down and wept -- “When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven.” Neh 1:4. How often have we seen the brokenness of the messages coming from our churches? How often have we seen the brokenness of a world in need of the saving grace of Jesus Christ? How often have we as children of God fallen down on our faces and wept and prayed and fasted because of this brokenness? Nehemiah should be an example to us. What part am I playing in this brokenness of the church? What part are you playing? Don’t you think it is time that the church (that includes you and I, we are the church) quit worrying about stepping on toes and preach the saving mercy and grace of the CROSS?

“And because the gracious hand of my God was upon me, the king granted my requests.” Neh 2:8b. Nehemiah asked the King to send him back to Jerusalem with all of the resources he needed to rebuild the walls. Nehemiah states that because God was with him these requests were granted. Anytime you and I are obedient and following the will of God, his hand will always be upon us....upon you and upon me! BUT, let’s not be naive here. You know and I know that whenever we begin to follow the will of God and do His bidding that there will be opposition. If you and I caught on fire for God and began a revival in our churches across this great nation....there would be opposition. “But when Sanballat the Horonite, Tobiah the Ammonite official and Geshem the Arab heard about it, they mocked and ridiculed us. ‘What is this you are doing?’ they asked. ‘Are you rebelling against the king?’" Neh 2:19. Trust me, when you and I begin our church rebuilding project we can expect opposition from the world. “For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” 1 Cor 1:18

Each of us must begin to prayerfully examine our church to see where we can help rebuild. You and I must also examine ourselves. Our own personal walls! Where are they falling apart? Where is the breach that Satan can use to infiltrate? Where is Satan using “political correctness” against our church to mask the true message of God? Where is Satan using your “busyness” to keep you from a total and complete, worshipful relationship with Jesus Christ?

Please don’t be a “pew sitter.” If we are obedient, if we open our hearts and say yes to Jesus, if we open our eyes to Satan’s tactics...we will not fail! Our churches will be rebuilt and at the same time, our personal lives will be rebuilt. The God of heaven will give us success!

"The God of heaven will give us success. We his servants will start rebuilding...” Neh 2:20a


All verses from the New International Version
@copyright 2010 LVC Ministries, Inc

No comments:

Post a Comment