Thursday, October 14, 2010

Waiting On God

Ps 27:14 – “Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.”

Ps 33:20-21 – “We wait in hope for the Lord; He is our help and our shield. In Him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in His holy name.”

It’s hard to wait. In our culture, waiting is not seen as a good thing. We want what we want when we want it, and we want it now! We are not a patient people. We want fast food. We want everything on the fast track. We want everything to go fast forward, and we certainly don’t want to wait on God.

During times of waiting at the doctor’s office or in line, I notice that I try to multi-task so that I can “be productive” because waiting seems to be “a waste of time”. But I don’t think God sees waiting on Him as “a waste of time”. Look at Moses... He had to wait 40 years before he truly started walking in the ministry God had planned for him. He was in training for 40 years in the desert as a shepherd. He was 80 years old before God used him in the leadership role for the Israelites! This tells us that waiting is a fact of life. It also tells us that we are never too old to be in service to God. Your life has not been a waste just because it took you a little longer to start going in God’s direction. Stop looking at “what could have been” and start looking forward to “what will be”. As long as you’re still alive, God has a plan for you.

It was in the year 2000 that God gave me a vision to speak out for Him. That was 11 years ago. I can see that I’m very close to that vision, but I’m still not there yet. God has been training me and changing me these past 11 years for the plan He has for me. And at the same time, He’s been working on Cindy and Vanessa too (the other two “cords” in A Cord of Three). Sometimes God has to wait for the right circumstances. You know, Vanessa and I have been going to the same church for about 20 years. We’ve known each other by name, but we never really connected or talked until this last year. And Cindy and I only met because God put us together in our church’s Mentor & Mentee program. But otherwise, we didn’t run around in the same circles at church and would seemingly have never met. But God has His plan for each of us, and He works through us our entire life to get us where we need to be.

Where do you see yourself waiting on God? Is it a ministry you believe He wants you to start? Or are you waiting on God to answer your prayers? Maybe you’ve been praying for someone’s salvation? Don’t give up! Just as God’s ways are not our ways (Is 55:8-9), God’s timing is not always our timing. Waiting on God shows that you trust Him and His plan for your life. If you move ahead of God or lag behind God, you won’t walk in all the blessings He has for you. As you wait on God, walk in the promise of Isaiah 64:4 and see how God acts on your behalf because you waited on Him.

“Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who wait for Him.”

*All Scripture is from the New International Version unless specified.
@Copyright 2010 LVC Ministries, Inc.

2 comments:

  1. Well sister Im 47 and Im about to catch up to Moses. I also try to get things accomplished while standing in line in hopes that I will have spare time. The funny thing is I always find something else to do with my spare time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherie,

    Thanks for the post! I'm right there with you! All I can say is keep being obedient to God and He'll work it all out. As for the spare time, we just have to be diligent and ask God for help. The enemy always wants to get us off track so stand firm!

    Thanks for reading our blog!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete