Monday, May 10, 2010

IN LIGHT OF ETERNITY

When I was taking undergrad classes in college, we’d call the classes that had nothing to do with our major, just “garbage in and garbage out.” The classes had to be taken to fulfill requirements, but they weren’t necessary for our future jobs. These classes were just a waste of time and a waste of money. Whatever we did learn in those classes was quickly forgotten.

It seems to me that the term “garbage in, garbage out” is also true for our lives. Every day we (you and I) waste our time and money on useless things. We busy ourselves with things that aren’t really important to us and doesn’t amount “to a hill of beans” especially when you compare it to eternity.

We’re so busy filling our lives and more importantly, our minds with things that just don’t matter! Satan is watching every move we make and throwing more useless “stuff” at us to keep us busy! Your life is as busy as you want to make it and as busy as you allow Satan to make it for you. Don't get me wrong, I know that your life is busy with things that you must do. But there are things that you don't have to do and do them anyway because you think you have to do them. That's just another way that Satan uses you. Satan loves to remind you how busy you are, especially if it keeps you from spending time with God (either in prayer or in His Word). When he does this, we get busier and busier. I am not preaching to you.....I too am very guilty of this! Sometimes, we just have to recognize our limitations and say “no!”

I am trying to change my “garbage in and garbage out” activities. I have found that if you really work hard to get closer to God that He will make it easier for you to get closer to Him.....you just have to really want it and you have to really work on it and you have to ask Him for His help! But Cindy, just how do you do this? Well, I know that you hear this all the time, but how about turning off the television for a while, how about turning off the technological gadgets for a while, how about using that quite time to read the Bible, to pray and have some time just to be alone to talk to and listen to what God says to you! Trust me, I wouldn’t ask you to do something that I am not willing to do myself. I have learned to turn off the television and when I do have it on, I listen to the Christian music channel. As far as the television goes, in the beginning it was very hard for me to make myself keep it on the music channel, I had other things to watch, but now, I want to listen to the music and I always hear a message from God in the songs. These songs and my quite time help to keep me grounded and focused.

I have found that the things that I used to watch, holds no interest for me any more. I have also noticed that I have more time to have quite time with God and more time to read His Word. Also, I have found that the more time I spend with God, that I find myself wanting to spend more and more time with Him. When you sincerely ask God to help you discern what is “garbage in and garbage out” in your life He will help you to understand what is truly important.

It takes time, it takes a lot of effort on your part, it takes you realizing and admitting to your limitations and it takes you wanting to get close to and follow God! Before you get busier and take on another project, ask yourself, is this “garbage in, garbage out?” How does this activity that is requiring my time away from a relationship with God compare......in light of eternity?

When you seek God with all of your heart....you will find Him. “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jer 29:13 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment