Thursday, March 24, 2011

Becoming a More Confident Pray-er

Do you want to become a more confident pray-er?  Praying is nothing more than talking to God, so why would I need to become more confident at praying anyway?  If you’re like many people, communicating with God doesn’t always seem so easy, especially when you’re new to prayer.  Praying alone is one thing, but do you feel equipped to pray in front of other people? 

Have no fear! Because once you become more comfortable talking with God when you’re alone with Him, then it will be much easier to pray in front of other people. Here are a few tips that have helped me on my journey to becoming a more confident pray-er:

First, show God that you want a relationship with Him where you can talk to Him and hear from Him by accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior.  "The Lord is far from the wicked, but He hears the prayer of the righteous." Proverbs 15:29.  We are only made righteous through belief in Jesus Christ.  (Rom 3:22)  See our blog titled "New Life In Christ" from April 2nd, 2010 to understand how to accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior.

If you want to learn how to pray, it helps to be around Spirit-filled "pray-ers".  Just like children learn how to read by hearing others read to them, we can follow the example of those who are Spirit-filled prayer warriors.  The other day, I was at a prayer meeting and I realized just how much I learn by listening to those who were there praying.  I was reminded to expand my prayers to those outside of just my church family and even my community as we prayed for Christians around the world.  So find a prayer meeting at your church and bask in the peace that comes from praying with others in unity. 

God speaks your language, so you don’t need to speak in Old English or with many words.  It’s good to have a reverence for God, but you don’t have to include "Thee" and "Thou" in your conversations with Him.  God’s Word tells us not to talk just to talk (Matt 6:7).  Instead, talk to God like He’s your friend, because He is. 

Pray the word.  Find promises in God’s Word and pray them for yourself and for others.  There is power in praying God’s promises back to Him.  Also, God’s Word will not return empty, but will accomplish His purpose.  Is 55:10-11 – "[10] As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, [11] so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." The more of the Word that you know, the easier it is to hear the Holy Spirit’s guidance in prayer as He brings Scriptures back to your mind.

Don’t fear what other people think.  You don’t have to be perfect when you pray.  Give yourself a break!  Let those around you know that you’re working on praying out loud.  And acknowledge that some people have a way with words, and God doesn’t expect you to be like them.  Rely on the Holy Spirit to guide you in your prayers.  He knows what you need to pray about.  And it’s ok if you need to pause in your prayers and take a second to collect your thoughts.  Prayers can make you feel vulnerable to those you are praying with, but know that God is looking at your heart, and your prayers are not about what other people think.  Prayers are about repenting from your sins so that God will hear you, praising God for who He is and what He’s going to do in your life and in the lives of those you’re praying for, thanking God for what He’s already done, and asking God for those things you and others need.

Pray without ceasing.  This means living a life of prayer, where God is at the forefront of your mind all day long.  It’s putting Him first when you wake up, putting Him last when your head hits your pillow, and remembering Him throughout your day as you seek His guidance in the way of life.

Listen for God to speak to you.  Prayer is communication.  If you only talked to those you have a relationship with, but never listened to them in return, you wouldn’t have a very good relationship.  God wants a personal relationship with you, and that means listening to the Holy Spirit throughout the day – it’s not just telling God what you need all the time.  Listening to God becomes easier with obedience.  When you know you’ve heard God and you are obedient to do what He’s told you, it’s easier to hear Him when He speaks to you the next time.  Much of the time, God speaks in a still, small voice.  As much as we’d like for God to hit us over the head with what He wants us to do, it takes time and attention towards Him to really begin to hear from Him.

This is not a complete list, but I hope you find these tips useful while you learn to communicate with God in a way that helps you as you become a more confident pray-er!

Dear Heavenly Father,
I praise You for being a God of grace.  You don’t condemn us for our prayers that don’t seem to measure up in the eyes of man, but You give us grace as we learn to walk and talk with You.  I ask that You would give me the determination and boldness to speak out prayers, knowing that the Holy Spirit is guiding me.  Help me to put you at the forefront of my mind so that I can seek Your guidance throughout the day.  And help me to listen to what You have to say to me every day.  I want a close, personal relationship with You, and I am so thankful that You hear my prayers.  In Jesus name I pray.  Amen.


~Lisa

All Scripture references are from the New International Version.
Copyright 2011 LVC Ministries, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment