Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hot or Cold, or Somewhere In Between?

[14] “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. [15] I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! [16] So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. [17] You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. [18] I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.
[19] Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. [20] Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.
[21] To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. [22] He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” Rev 3:14-22

Jesus, who is the faithful and true witness, who sees all we do, chastised the church in Laodicea by showing how the world around them was moving them into a lukewarm, or indifferent state in their works for God. Laodicea was known for its lukewarm water that was piped in by aqueduct from the Hot Springs of Hierapolis and cold water from Colossae. By the time the water reached Laodicea, it was lukewarm and nasty! Laodicea was a very wealthy community. They were well known for garments made of black wool and for medicinal eye salve that came from their university. With this in mind, you can see how Jesus used their worldly situation to challenge them to change from their “lukewarmness”.

There are good uses for hot water and for cold water, but they were neither hot nor cold. Their lukewarmness, or indifference, was so detestable to Jesus that He was ready to vomit them out of His mouth, like someone who drank of the detestable, lukewarm water of Laodicea would spit it out of his mouth. They thought they were rich because they had all that they needed. They thought how wealthy they were with their black wool garments, but spiritually, they were poor and naked. They needed to put on Jesus’ white garment of righteousness. With their university, they thought they had much knowledge, but they were blind and needed spiritual salve for their eyes so they could be opened up to see their spiritual state. Does this sound familiar? As a nation, Americans have been richly blessed. But so many people don’t think they need God because they think they can do everything on their own. With all of our knowledge and technology, we Americans think we are so smart, but are we really just being lukewarm?

Jesus challenged the Laodicean church to buy gold from Him that was refined by fire. Perhaps He was referring to 1 Cor. 3:12-15 which says,

“[12] If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, [13] his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. [14] If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. [15] If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames. “

Are your works building on the foundation of Jesus Christ? Will they stand the test of fire? Or do you think you have everything you need without God's help? How much do you really rely on Him? Are you too prideful to be corrected by Jesus? Don’t be, instead, repent and turn from your ways. He only corrects and disciplines those He loves. Jesus is telling His followers that He’s knocking at the door of your heart. Will you open the door and let Him come in? He is a gentleman, and won’t force His way in, but only comes in by invitation. When is the last time you invited Jesus into your heart and into every area of your life? This is something we can do daily, not just when we first believe in Him.

To those who overcome this indifference and apathy, this lukewarmness, Jesus says that you will have the right to share His throne with Him. I don’t know how this will happen, but it reminds me of a child sitting on his daddy’s lap. You can’t help but be close when you’re sitting together, and Jesus is offering that kind of closeness with Him when you overcome the sin of indifference.  Let's ask God to help us overcome being lukewarm.

Dear Heavenly Father,
I pray that you will show me anywhere that I am being indifferent, lukewarm or apathetic in my service to You. I open up all aspects of my life to You and invite You in. I ask that You anoint my eyes with spiritual salve so I may see. I also ask that You would help me to walk clothed in Your righteousness. Thank You, Jesus. It's in Your precious name I pray. Amen.


~Lisa
 
Scripture references are from the New International Version.
@Copyright 2011 LVC Ministries, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment