Monday, July 12, 2010

JUST DO IT!

A while back, I drove past a church and read on the marquee “Give your life to God. He can do more with it anyway!” I’ve been thinking about that for a while now, I really do believe that God can do more with my life than I can, but it is really hard to follow that belief. Right now, I am in the process of finishing my last class toward a Master’s degree in Education. I started pursing this degree over three years ago and a lot of money, hard work and tears have been given to the university. When I began classes, I fully intended to get a job teaching elementary education. In fact, I even made certain promises to my husband about what I would do for us when I finally got a teaching job.

Last September, God paired me up with Lisa in our church’s mentor/mentee program and just prior to that I met Vanessa through another church program. Slowly, over this past year, it seems like God has been changing my plans for me, that is, from teaching elementary education to working with A Cord of Three. I’ve struggled with this many times, in fact, in our last meeting, I told Lisa and Vanessa that I think it would be easier for me to go teach than to do this. This morning during my prayer time, I told God the same thing. However, when I look back over my life, I can see where God has been leading me in this direction for a long time now, but still, I find myself thinking, maybe I should teach...maybe, that would be better in the long run for my husband and I, instead of pursuing this.

I’ve been struggling for several days as to what I should write about today. I’ve attempted to write about several things, but the subjects just weren’t heartfelt. I would start them and then abandon them. Struggling, this morning, I asked God to give me something to write about, something that someone needs to hear. I’ve been praying for several days now that God would give me wisdom and discernment concerning my direction in life. Maybe, that’s what you are praying for also. If God is leading you to do something, do it! Tomorrow is not guaranteed. When I first met Vanessa, one of the first things she said to me was “you don’t want to go to God empty handed do you?” That’s the same question that I am asking you right now, you don’t want to go to God empty handed do you?

As for my husband, he’s a wonderful man; he knows that if God is asking me to do something, then I should do it. It seems like all of my life, I have started one project after another and quit each one before it was completed. Most of the time I gave them up because I started them for the wrong reason, because I felt like I knew what was best for my life. This time, I feel like teaching would be much easier than starting a business, but I know that is not what God wants me to do. Maybe it’s time that we (you and I) quit struggling to figure out which direction is right for our lives and just trust God, to be still for a change and just listen and just wait upon the Lord to lead us. Then when He does, don’t hesitate, don’t analyze, and don’t ask why....just do it.

"I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. 8 I have set the LORD always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:7-8 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment